Here we are in the month of April, a few days away from the first game ever to be played at citifield between the Mets and the Red Sox, and I just got through watching the "Shea Goodbye" rebroadcast on SNY.
Last September seems like one hundred years ago that the amazin Mets blew yet another chance at the playoffs.
And while everyone is getting all excited about the opening of Citifield, I found myself getting all choked up watching Seaver and Piazza slowly walk off into that dreary September day and close the center field gate one last time. I actually started to wish that there was one more season left at Shea. Too many memories. I am having problems letting it go. The thing that really got me sniffing (not cocaine) was seeing George Theodore. Remember when he collided with Don Hahn and dislocated his hip?
I know this has probably been talked to death seven months ago, but I could see citifield looming off in the distance, almost smiling as the season played out and the destruction of good old Shea was just days away. I actually saw a video on youtube of the old stadium being knocked down, the score board being torn down. I really wanted to buy that score board. If I had the money I would have. I would keep it in my back yard or something. It would stay lit up all year long. Maybe figure out a way to set it up as a motion detector light to keep all those devious criminal Yankee fans out of my yard.
The 2009 season is just a few days away. Mets tickets are mighty pricey these days. Its hard to find cheap seats at citifield.
But I know that I will keep looking over at where Shea stadium was. This is going to take alot of getting used to. But perhaps the grieving will be met with joy if the amazin mets actually put a good season together and make the playoffs. Who knows. Stranger things have happened.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment