Monday, April 6, 2009

Daniel Murphy homers in amazin win


What was I just saying in the last post? Did I say that this team isn't fun or exciting to watch?
Did I say that?
Perhaps I am just being over zealous about the amazins' winning game 1 of the 2009 baseball season. Or maybe I'm still not used to a bullpen that can help preserve a one run lead.
Either way, the mets put one in the win column thanks to the two ribbies from Daniel Murphy. The kid had a great at-bat and clubbed a homer into the right field stands. If you were watching the game, you knew the ball was gone the second he made contact with it. What a nice poke from this kid. If Daniel Murphy can keep hitting like this, it will surely keep him in the lineup and give the amazins some much needed spark.
The Mets really seemed to be pumped up today. If you had a chance to catch the game, the atmosphere in the dugout was lively. They all looked psyched and ready to go. Besides Daniel Murphy, other Met players made their own contributions in the victory. Ryan Church looked as though he was having lots of fun out there, making a great catch and doubling up a runner at first base, while Carlos Delgado made a great stretch at the bag. Church pumped his arm triumphantly and was grinning ear to ear about the catch, the ball popped out and he caught it without missing a beat on the throw to Delgado.
Jose Reyes had his first stolen base of 2009 within seconds after the first pitch, it was a bit disappointing that they couldn't bring him home, but it was reminiscent of "86" when Dykstra would lead off and steal second, and then score on a base hit and before the other team could blink it was 1-0 Mets!
Johan pitched a great game and he provided moral support as well. It is always good to see your #1 starting pitcher all pumped up and yelling and cheering.
I know I was cynical in my post the other day. I get that way from time to time. I sure you do too being a Met fan, right?
But right now we have to feel good because this group of amazin's looked ready to win.
But there are still 161 games left.
Lets keep the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment